El Mundo de Monte's Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Phoenix Arizona Drive In Theaters Past & Present


The Round Up Drive In was located at 6599 East Thomas Road in Scottsdale, Arizona (1955 to 1979). It was my favorite drive in theater in the area of Phoenix, Arizona. It was the drive in with the huge neon cowboy. Today it is an apartment complex that has a road coming into the complex that seems to be the same path the original road took into the drive in. My family spent many evenings at that theater.
These are DRIVE-IN theaters that were once located in the metro-Phoenix area:
The Acres Drive In
Big Sky Drive In
Cinema Park Drive In
El Rey Drive In
Indian Drive In
Mustang Drive In
Northern Drive In
Nu-View Drive In
Oasis Drive In
Peso Drive In
Phoenix Drive In
Pioneer Drive In 1 and 2
Rancho Drive In
Rodeo Drive In
The Round-Up Drive In
Sands Drive In
Silver Dollar Drive In
South Twin Drive In
Thunderbird Drive In
Twin Drive In
Velda Rose Drive In

If you need any more information on any of these drive ins in the Phoenix area, leave your question in a comment here. I will try to get the information and update this post to reflect the information you asked for. I have addresses and other information for most of the drive-ins I have listed in this post. I also have lots of info on the indoor theaters in the Phoenix-metro area if that is of interest to you.
DRIVE-IN Theaters have decreased dramatically in the United States. They went from over 5,000 in 1956, to 837 in July of 1995, to about 600 in July of 2003. 


May 30, 2007 WED. 1:30 PM






2 comments:

stadiumjapan said...

Hi El Mundo,

Do you happen to know where I can get a picture of the Velda Rose drive in? I need it for a collection I'm putting together for my high school graduation.

Thanks

Laura

Anonymous said...

Could you post some pictures of the pioneer drive in if you have in that would be awesome